Skip to main content

The Sadhu's Gesture - Inspirations from Daily Life



It was the day after Maha Shivratri after temple hopping of the ancient temples in and around Trichy in the great night of Shiva. My sister and I set out to offer our worship to Lord Vishnu at Srirangam, close
to Trichy.

After a fulfilling darshan of Sriranganathar coupled with tasty nibbles of the Prasad-pulisadham (tamarind rice) and thayirsadham (curd rice), we got into the car. As we engaged ourselves in a conversation waiting for the driver to return, a Sadhu approached us.

He passed off easily as a traditional Indian Sadhu, clad in ochre robes. He had flowing hair and wore Kumkum on his forehead.

It was beyond doubt that he approached us for alms; we casually handed out some money. There was a faint but a sure sign of gratitude on his face. He then immediately turned around and lifted both his hands above his head at the temple tower in adoration of the Lord and walked away quietly. This could seem as just another ordinary act of adoration of the Lord…. May be the money that he received could be enough for a meal that day. Perhaps he did not have to make a few more rounds of asking for alms.


But, as I mused, I was struck by the sense of the surrender and gratitude that he exuded. That simple act conveyed various things. To totally depend on God amidst total uncertainty portrayed humility and wisdom that one can learn from such expressions in daily life.

Furthermore I felt relieved that I wasn’t judgmental about his tidy appearance before handing him the money. We usually gauge a person with preset parameters before we give alms. We check for physical disability, age and strength in order to determine whether he/she is capable of working to fend for himself. I felt physical disability may be visible to judging eyes, but pain within, which needs to be understood most often lies camouflaged by a trim and tidy look.

A little more sensitivity would ease out hidden pains. 

Random musings.

Picture Courtesy: Sonu Agvan
www.unsplash.com 

Comments

THEY ALSO READ

About Miracles - A Different Outlook!

Om Namo Bhagavate Shri Ramanaya! The womb of miracles is Grace, which is none other than the Self. Miracles here, may be defined as not the glaring ones as in Physic powers, Clairvoyance or materialising objects etc that bears the stamp of doership. They are simply divine interference in day to day life that are too very natural, and could often escape from even an alert eye. Such were those which took place in the presence of Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi. Any ardent seeker's life is peppered with miracles or divine interference. There are two common outlooks towards miracles. While most intellectual seekers on the path of Self realization often have a self imposed indifferent attitude towards miracles, seekers on the path of bakti or devotion often get lost in miraculous happenings. In my humble opinion, I guess focusing on Grace, the underlying factor of miracles than focusing on miraculous happenings themselves, or being aware of miracles rather than b...

Peace In His Presence

Peace percolates in the otherwise stormy mind by a glance of Grace from the sage, Ramana Maharshi.

As I Falter as I Fly.....

Attachment binds, Love sets you free, Attachment masquerades in the mask of love, The Master's love is unalloyed, For He teaches you to be free, He touches not the mind, He sits in the heart (as the very heart) I may not have realised complete freedom, Like the early efforts of a little bird that makes its flight in the sky, I may falter as I fly  before I realise that flying is my natural ability, But His glance has bestowed me with the glimpse  of being uncaged in infinity.

The Mount of Grace