Skip to main content

Wield Thy Weapon of Wisdom! - A poem of prayer to Ramana Maharshi

This poem is a plea to Bhagavan Ramana in the form of the Arunachala Hill in a mood of surrender to do away with the false ‘I’, or the little ‘I.’

 It is written, inspired by the talks of Brahma Sri Nochur Venkataraman on ‘Ulladhu Naarpadhu’ of Ramana Bhagavan, verse 2. Here he exposes one to a broader dimension of the ‘Fear of death’, by extending it to the changes that are constant in one’s life and not merely the death of the body. If we reflect our actions are towards steadying ourselves in order to encounter changes in future, the results of which are not in our control.

There is a fear of flux starting from our own body, mind, relationships, status, prospects, fortune etc. Therefore, death is immanent in everything and a way of transcending it as per Ramana’s words is to surrender the false identity for which these changes are apparent. Furthermore, the plea is to beseech Bhagavan to hasten the process, for the fear of being entangled in any forthcoming pleasure, which also carries the seeds of change. It is a prayer to bestow the state of equanimity in the face of pleasure and pain.

One then abides in the true Self or reality which is untouched by changes.

Wield Thy Weapon of Wisdom!

When the head drops low in a bow,
Wield Thy weapon of wisdom in a trice,
Strike the hood of the serpent ego,
Before another rise.

With shadows of death lurking around,
With uncertainty in all earthly claims,
Certainty is but Thy ground,
Hence, claim me with Thy aim.

Seeing death, hearing death, rather living death,
With death reigning high,
Breathing death in every breath
Deathless One, pray sever the ego knot in the tie.


 Every dusk sees a dawn
With streaks of death in the relative sky,
Quick to it I am  drawn, so wield Thy wisdom weapon,
For once for all to die.

Kill the ego with surrender you said,
None but Thou cast the state in me,
Blazing wisdom, Arunachala red,
Come claim Thy Kill that I be.

Thy weapon of wisdom is of love,
With death dead in Thy embrace,
With no trace of the little ‘I’ left
And all that remains is but Grace!

Comments

THEY ALSO READ

About Miracles - A Different Outlook!

Om Namo Bhagavate Shri Ramanaya! The womb of miracles is Grace, which is none other than the Self. Miracles here, may be defined as not the glaring ones as in Physic powers, Clairvoyance or materialising objects etc that bears the stamp of doership. They are simply divine interference in day to day life that are too very natural, and could often escape from even an alert eye. Such were those which took place in the presence of Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi. Any ardent seeker's life is peppered with miracles or divine interference. There are two common outlooks towards miracles. While most intellectual seekers on the path of Self realization often have a self imposed indifferent attitude towards miracles, seekers on the path of bakti or devotion often get lost in miraculous happenings. In my humble opinion, I guess focusing on Grace, the underlying factor of miracles than focusing on miraculous happenings themselves, or being aware of miracles rather than b...

Peace In His Presence

Peace percolates in the otherwise stormy mind by a glance of Grace from the sage, Ramana Maharshi.

As I Falter as I Fly.....

Attachment binds, Love sets you free, Attachment masquerades in the mask of love, The Master's love is unalloyed, For He teaches you to be free, He touches not the mind, He sits in the heart (as the very heart) I may not have realised complete freedom, Like the early efforts of a little bird that makes its flight in the sky, I may falter as I fly  before I realise that flying is my natural ability, But His glance has bestowed me with the glimpse  of being uncaged in infinity.

My Trip Alone To Ramanashram-Part II

Om Namo Bhagavate Shri Ramanaya When the mind is worn out and weary, When it needs to be revived, To drink of your glory, The elixir of life Arunachala, the Mount of Grace,        May the mind rest in your eternal embrace. The turbulent mind This time I rushed to the Master’s presence with a turbulent mind. On 7 th October, peace seemed to be something very distant. I went round Bhagavan’s Samadhi over and over again for thoughts to slow down, which of course did. However the storm did not subside. Meditation was rather difficult as there was a counter thought, a worry, ‘the hankering for peace’. On 8 th morning the mind was totally worn out. It suddenly became averse to be engaged in any activity, be it to go round the master or to meditate in the meditation hall. It just dropped its movements. All of a sudden peace descended as I simply sat in the hall in front of the Mother’s shrine, where a black statue of Bhagavan...